New Zealand First will consult closely with the Defence Force, the Royal New Zealand Returned and Services Association (RNZRSA) and other veterans associations to ensure that our veterans are properly recognized for their special contribution to New Zealand’s security.
New Zealand First places great value and recognition on the service given by our veterans. Our nation has a special obligation to them – particularly those who suffered as a result of their service.
New Zealand First will:
- Ensure that all military veterans who meet the eligibility criteria receive a veteran’s pension.
- Support claims by veterans and their children who have been affected by Agent Orange, nuclear testing and such issues.
- Work with the RNZRSA towards providing veterans with a sustainable health care package.
- Support the completion of the National Memorial Park in Wellington to be a place which properly recognizes the service and sacrifices of our veterans. .
- Ensure veterans pensions maintain relativity PLUS an additional 10 per cent in recognition of their sacrifice.
- Implement with due speed the recommendations in the Law Commissions review of the War Pensions Act.
- Renew full annual government funding to RSA support services to help veterans gain access to health and social services.
- Increase the radiation related health conditions listed on the Veteran’s Affairs Presumptive List, to include all cancers.
Rt Hon Winston Peters MP on this policy
"New Zealand First places great value and recognition on the service given by our veterans. Our nation has a special obligation to them – particularly those who suffered as a result of their service."