“Our vision is of a nation made up of well educated, determined, healthy, and innovative people, with an expanding business programme geared around exports, regional development, job growth and harnessing the natural attributes of our country.”
— Rt Hon Winston Peters
RAISE THE MINIMUM WAGE
- Increase the minimum wage to $20 per hour over three years starting in 2018 (with tax assistance for employers).
- Remove secondary tax for workers with more than one job.
- Abolish the ‘starting out wage’ for young people.
- Set Minimum Redundancy provisions based on twice the normal contractual notice period up to a maximum of 13 weeks.
- Amend the Companies Act so that wages and salary, including holiday pay, have equal priority with Secured Creditors.
PATERNITY AND MATERNITY LEAVE
- Introduce paid paternal leave of two weeks rising to four weeks.
- Support increasing paid maternity leave to 26-weeks.
BETTER LABOUR RELATIONS
- Review and amend employment laws to ensure that casualisation employment practices are fair and just with a review of short term employment contracts.
- Train New Zealanders in areas of skill shortages, instead of actively recruiting offshore.
- Put New Zealanders first for jobs by sensible immigration policies.
- Pay the Job Seekers Benefit to approved employers when taking on an apprentice.
- Paid internship programme to provide work experience.
- Introduce literacy and numeracy skills package for workers.
- Introduce the Ministry of Social Development funded and NZ Defence Force operated Youth Enterprise and Training Initiative to offer trade training to students not suited to conventional education.
- Establish workforce planning, career advice and competitive course entry for post-secondary education.
- Require transparency when public service salaries exceed accepted public service bands.
BETTER HEALTH & SAFETY
- Amend the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 to remove its bureaucratic excesses.